AnneMarie and Andrew

Annemarie and Andrew – Trekking Asia

Siem Reap: Day 2

On our first day in Siem Reap we had looked around a few tour shops and found a couple of tours which would take us out to the furthest temples of the Angkor complex. Most of the lower priced tours were about $30-$40 for both of us and included transport (furthest temple is about 50km from Siem Reap) and a tour guide to take us round. But, when we bought the ticket to Angkor temples (on the day we cycled around Angkor) and we had been stopped to have our tickets checked and stamped, an employee of Angkor had asked us about tours and what we had planned. (Note: someone asking about tours is also wanting to sell you a tour). So we told him what we’d found and quoted the lowest price we’d seen. And guess what? He beat the price. A tuk tuk would pick is up from our hotel, take us to the three temples we wanted to see and provide cold driving water. For $25 that sounded alright and we agreed.

We were in the back of the Tuk-Tuk for about 8am and heading to the first temple we’d requested, Banteay Srei. It was early morning so we could handle the sun as we wandered around this small but impressive site.





All the photos from Banteay Srei can be seen on Flickr.

After maybe 30 minutes we got back in the tuk-tuk and set off for Kbal Spean, also known as the “valley of a thousand Lingas”. The Lingas were carved into the riverbed almost a thousand years ago. We had read that it was a 45 minute walk up hill from the car park to the site, so with plenty of water we set off. We were quite pleased when we did it in 30 minutes, although a French guy and his two kids did go past us on the way up (the kids were about 6-8 years old).

We spent probably an hour walking down the river looking at the carvings, as far down as the waterfall. After a bit of climbing around we headed back downhill to the tuk-tuk. An interesting thing is that on the way down we passed another French family who had been on the trans-siberian railway with us (they got on at Ulan Bator for the final night). So we aren’t the only people doing this route, although an interesting coincidence that after 9 weeks our paths converge.







All the photos from Kbal Spean can be seen on Flickr.

By now it was a little after midday but the tuk-tuk driver insisted we had time for another temple, so we picked one and asked to go there.

That final temple was Banteay Samre. It was a small temple but the central section was quite intact and still has the power to impress. We didn’t spend long here as the temperature was rapidly shooting up and we still struggle to wander around stone ruins when the mercury is above 30.





As usual, all the photos from Banteay Samre can be seen on Flickr.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *